Monday, August 17, 2009

Training - August 14,15,16

August 14th- This was the first day of having the new shoes clipped in. We rode about 2 miles and then got off and ran 1 mile. We didn't time the bike ride. I ran the mile in 7:41.

August 15th- I had baseball in the morning and spent the night with my friend Bruce. So I didn't really do any training that day.

August 16th- This was the day I was supposed to do a Mock Race. It didn't go as planned. We started the swim and I finished it in 3:42. I did the 100m at Kiwanis in 2:02, so I know I can do 135m in a better time. I guess I was tired after spending the night at Bruce's. The first transition went well. With the clip in shoes I did it in 35 seconds. Then the biking went horribly wrong. I kept looking at my speedometer and it said 14mph. I was kind of upset about it because the average should be between 16 and 17. I was trying to push harder to get it up to 16 and 17 but I couldn't do it for very long. I was getting very frustrated and I didn't understand why I was going so slow. About 2.5 miles in I looked back and Dad wasn't there anymore. He had a flat tire and crashed. At this point we had to stop the race.

Dad explained later that there was a strong head wind and that's why I had to work so hard. He told me that I would have made up for it on the way back so I shouldn't have pushed so hard against the wind because I wore myself out. And he was right, because when I went back to the pool to get mom I got up to 21.7 mph.

I was pretty upset we didn't get to finish the mock race. Dad said I was on pace to finish in under 30 minutes but I want to finish it in under 27. We are going to run 3 .5 mile sprints today. Tomorrow I have baseball tryouts so we are just going to do a core muscle work out.

Wednesday we are going to re-do the mock race.

1 comment:

  1. Austin,
    Don't be discouraged when your times aren't what you want. Take time to figure out what wasn't right and then focus on fixing it if it needs fixing...like the biking against the wind. That doesn't need fixing, just be sensitive to what is going on and take advantage of the downwind legs. As for swimming, you can't do your best if your body isn't well rested. Get your rest, eat good foods and work on core body strength and aerobic conditioning. All of that works together to prepare you to do your best...and that's all you can do. Based on what I've seen, you WILL be competitive, and I know you will have a great time. I'm looking forward to cheering you on in Alpharetta. We'll have a great time together.
    Love,
    Pawpaw
    P.S. How's your Dad? Did he hurt himself in the wreck?

    ReplyDelete