Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Introduction

I'm training for a triathlon and wanted to create this blog so I can update everyone on my progress. Each night I'm going to tell you what I did that day to prepare for the triathlon. I'll try and get my dad to get some pictures of my training and I'll post them on my blog.

I'm planning to compete in the ironkids triathlon on Sep. 13 in Apharetta, GA. http://www.ironkids.com/Locations/IronKids_Alpharetta.htm
I'm competing in the intermediate divison (9-11 y/o). The distances are 150 yard swim, 4 mile bike and 1 mile run.

On August 8th I'm going to compete in the Kiwanas Kids Triathlon in Houston. The distances are shorter than the ironkids (100m swim, 2 mile bike, and .5 mi run) but since this is my first triathlon it should be a good challenge to tackle.

I started training 2 weeks ago. When I started I had a hard time swimming 25 meters. Biking was pretty easy. I am used to sprinting for baseball but had a hard time running .5 miles.

Ive come a long way. Monday was a brick where I swam 50 meters, biked 3 miles, and ran .5 miles. Tuesday I swam 25m x 6 with a 15 second break in between each 25m. Then 50m, then 100m then 25m. Then I ran .5 miles, walked .25 miles and ran anther .5 miles. Today I have a 6 mile bike.

My best time for 25m swim is 30.44 seconds. My best .5 mile time is 4:30. I'm averaging 12.5 mph biking. Dad says once I get a road bike I'll be able to average 17.5mph.

My goals for Kawanis are 2:30 for the 100m swim, 7:00 minutes for the 2 mile bike, and 4:10 for the .5 mile run.

If you would like to sponsor me (to help with training, equipment, and travel costs) please check back soon for more information!

3 comments:

  1. Hey buddy! I am so proud of you for blogging and will check in every night to see your progress and training. BTW, if you have a rough day training just think of Livi and me (and Connor and Rachele and Uncle Tom) cheering you on as loudly as we can! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Austin! This is great. It's a really a good way to let all of us be a part of your training program. You can count on me to sponsor you. I am so proud of you.
    Love, Pawpaw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Austin! Way to go kid...this is SO cool! Keep up the good work and count Uncle Andy and I in for a donation. We miss and love you very much!

    Love, Aunt Lisa

    ReplyDelete